Sunday, May 17, 2009

Watch out, this will be a long one...


I have returned to the ever-odd world of the weblog.

Firstly, the exams are over. Elation. How lucky are the IADT-heads, we were in and out before all the other colleges, and are now well into holiday life. Minus the sun, of course. Music went pretty well, ended up answering on how to set up a successful gig/event and the differences between Italian and French opera. Arts in Context was not so good. We were supposed to answer three questions but I only did one and a half. I think I've done well enough in my assignments over the year though, hopefully it'll add up to a pass! 

Now for a rant. MANAGEMENT. Th subject I was dreading. It actually went better than I thought. It was a bit ridiculous though, I had to study from Leaving Cert notes and Wikipedia. I'm only a year into this whole 'college' thing, but I'm almost certain that is not how one is meant to learn! 

It was the last exam so we headed to Bakers for a few pints before disbanding for the summer months. Many were heading to the End of Year Ball, but I gave it a miss. There are many more nights out to come, I shall see the DL-242ers soon.

My FIRST fabulous summer event was having the pleasure of going to see Placebo in Bournemouth. I will be writing a proper review, so I won't get into too much detail here, but it was fantastic. They were on top form and the new album is going to be a stormer. I impatiently await June 8th. 

NEXT, I was treated to the well-oiled machine of a band that is Little Feat. My dad's friends were playing support so I got a text on the day saying my name was on the door. Excellent. Although having to do with out the resonating vocals of Shaun Murphy (a lady!), Little Feat put on a highly impressive show. Although it had only been eleven months since they last played here, and just six since an acoustic performance with two members, the band charged through their own hits, as well as some covers - Get Up, Stand Up (The Wailers) and Rag Mama Rag (The Band). Even with of a combined age of about 360 years, the band show no signs of slowing down. Here's hoping they make it back to Dublin again some time. 

Last night, Saturday, I went to see my dad and his band play. Returning to JJ Smyth's for the first time in a year, they played fantastically. It's great to see these six guys, with their real lives and jobs, just taking some time out to do what they love. I wonder if it'll be another year before they play again?

I have been pleading with work for more hours, but it's not looking good. I have the chance of a job that will pay four times as much, but only for the summer months. A dilemma it seems. I do love working in Topshop, but I could do with the money. (Don't make me mention the R word...) Janet and myself are hoping to move out for September, so any extra cash would be amazing. I can't deal with the two-bus ordeal for another year!

There is no baking in this post. I have been ever so busy. I did get a new cookbook though, and there's about eight recipes bookmarked already. I better get cracking : )


Oh how did I forget this? Asher Roth was on Jools Holland, and he was rather good.




1 comment: